Originally Posted By: quillansculpture
I guess the bear thing is just a bit silly (to me). I've had 'em walk within feet of me, but most just run away. Mostly just a nuisance...

My personal experience is similar to your personal experience, Black bears have been mostly a nuisance to me. But is it really good advice to insist that people should feel comfortable getting between Momma bears and her cubs? I'm just not buying that advice.

Originally Posted By: quillansculpture
Black Bear attacks and deaths??? Again, kind of a reach. If you want to do a study, compare the amount of people killed on the 395 in auto accidents to Black Bear attacks in the entire North American region. Much more dangerous of a proposition just to get to Lone Pine than bears actually standing ground and attacking. Just my opinion, but I've seen what an accident can do on the 395...... just haven't seen anyone hurt by a bear.

So let's give out bad advice about driving, shall we? Hey everybody, there's an expert in England who says it's okay to drive on the left side of the road because most accidents happen when people drive on the right side of the road. I've never personally seen anyone killed by driving on the left side of the road.