Thanks to all the great trip reports here, I've been wanting to approach Whitney from the JMT via Kearsarge Pass for a while. This was a fabulous trip. Without the advice and ideas I have found on this forum, I could never have imagined such a wonderful adventure could be within reach. Some highlights:

-Meeting a large number of PCT'ers (we saw at least 40 of them during the hike), including Magic Bag, Treble, Papa Smurf, Walking Stick, Viking, Chow Down, and Wondering. We also met Bowl Leg when we stopped to do a short hike at Ebbett's Pass off of Rt. 4 on the drive home.

-Watching my friend experience the transformative power of a first Whitney Summit. I first summitted 2 years ago, the same week I hit my Weightwatchers goal weight, and the experience changed me forever. I saw a similar effect on my friend, who has lost 80 lbs through physical training and diet since October, for whom this trip would have been impossible less than a year ago.

-Seeing a bear near the junction of the Kearsarge Pass trail and the JMT.

-Having generally great weather, and then enjoying a dramatic hail storm from the relative safety of Trail Camp. The forecast had been so good (a forecast that I confirmed with the ranger at Crabtree on July 3) that I was planning to sleep on the summit of Mt. Whitney on July 4. But the clouds that morning made us nervous so, when we reached the JMT/MT junction, we dropped our packs so as to do a speedy-as-possible summit. The summit was beautiful -- warm, sunny, etc., but still clouds all around in the distance. Ultimately, a storm did hit the crest, and we encountered hail just as we got to Trail Camp. From the comfort of our tents, it made for good photographs.

-Meeting SEKI rangers Laura (Tyndall Creek) and Rob (Crabtree), and Inyo ranger Brian. All the rangers were enthusiastic conveyors of information. Brian, by the way, was checking permits, and checked ours. Oh, and another highlight: after we had talked for a bit, Rob said I reminded him of Moose; while I quickly pointed out that I lack Moose's superpowers, I enjoyed the compliment.

View into Kings Canyon NP from Kearsarge Pass

Lake West of Bullfrog Lake (near where we camped night 1) with view of Mt. Rixford

East Vidette and Vidette Meadow

Black bear near junction of Kearsarge Pass trail and JMT

First view of Forester Pass

View looking back at Vidette Meadow from trail up Forester Pass

Alpinglow hits Mt. Stanford (?), view from campsite No. 2

Approach to Forester Pass

Snow Pilots on the way up to Forester Pass

Marmot on the way up to Forester Pass

Lake at about 12,100' just below Forester Pass

Getting nearer to Forester Pass

View south from Forester Pass

Crazy switchbacks carved into the cliff on the south side of Forester Pass

First view of Whitney (from Bighorn Plateau)

Bighorn Plateau

Whitney getting closer ... from south end of Bighorn Plateau

Timberline Lake and Mt. Whitney (near our fourth campsite)

Mt. Hitchcock at dusk

Timberline Lake, Mt. Hitchcock, at dusk

Backside of Mt. Whitney and Timberline Lake at Dusk

Full moon and start of alpenglow at dawn near Timberline Lake

Guitar Lake

View from Switchbacks up to JMT/Whitney Main Trail Junction (Guitar Lake, Hitchcock Lakes, Mt. Hitchcock)

View looking Northwest from Top of Mt. Whitney (Mt. Hale and Mt. Young?)

View West from top of Whitney

What is left of the Whitney summit snowfield (with Keeler Needle in the background)

View West from Trail Crest (Mt. Hitchcock, Hitchcock Lakes), weather building!

Snow pilots on East side of Trail Crest/97 Switchbacks on the Whitney Main Trail

Weather building on Sierra Crest