I got an interesting opinion from a friend recently. He said by providing so much information for people, it removes the sense of discovery and pioneering. By providing so much for them here, their trip becomes less of an adventure.

That opinion parallels Doug's view from the other board when we split, that people should log in and ask questions. He did not want people just visiting, reading what they needed, and leaving without participating. And he wanted the newbies answering more of the questions.

So this association and our message board runs with the opposite intent: Provide as much information as possible to anyone and everyone who comes looking, to help them learn "How Not To Die On Whitney"

Whether they register or not does not matter. I like Bob West's words, "...the answer to the question, 'Am I my brother's keeper?' ought to be a resounding YES!"

By contributing here, everyone who posts provides helpful information so those who want can come and find it. For those who don't come looking... well, they are the ones looking for that pioneering adventure.

Life for pioneers was (and still is) sometimes unlucky.