Originally Posted By: caplen
Thanks for all the replies so far!

Wow, I thought something was a little funny about our Diamox prescriptions, but I didn't realize they were that high! I was thinking I'd take 125mg twice daily, but perhaps I'll even split that in half, at least at first.

I did just starting taking Ginkgo too.

Doing everything "right", according to my doc - hydrating well in advance, regular calorie intake, not overexerting, acclimating before high altitude days (Lodgepole and the HST itself, before Kaweah) - should make the Diamox unnecessary. And based on that, and my prior easy experiences with altitude, I'd rather not take it at all. But my understanding is that it works best as a prophylactic, and if I wait til problems arise, it will be too late. So I'm torn, since by the time we approach Guitar Lake, we have to go over Trail Crest just to get out. Even if we don't summit, we can't just turn around like on the main trail, if we're having problems.

Akichow~
So Diamox can cause electrolyte problems - excessive peeing? That should be fun, since I'm already on a mild HBP med that's a diuretic. We're carrying Vitalyte, but eight days worth is pretty heavy. There's a more concentrated chew or tablet or something, isn't there, that might help with that?

(By the way, what's a girl to do, above treeline, on a crowded popular trail? Does any shred of modesty I might have left at that point just go out the windows up there? blush)

Glenn~
Thanks for the water and clothes advice too. I did forget to mention that I have a light fleece halfzip too. I'm waffling on the silks - I hike warm, and on chilly but otherwise fair days, they are such a comfortable balance worn under my pants & t-shirt. Also, I have tried the rain jacket & pants thing, but just can't make it work for me. It is inevitable that as soon as I decide the rain is bad enough to hassle with suiting up, put my pack back on and start hiking, rain stops and I'm miserable and sweaty. When I give in and stop to un-suit, as soon as they're packed up, the rain starts up again. And so on. It's my curse. After much waffling, I've embraced that I'm a poncho girl. It just wouldn't be a true hiking trip without at least one pic of me looking like a giant two-legged blueberry. A couple of well-placed binder clips help some with the wind.

Bee~
Thanks for the stern warning! I'm so glad I asked here before we started popping pills!

saltydog~
I actually hiked the section from Crescent Meadow to Merton Creek, about 6 miles out, last year - mid July 2011. And y'all know what the conditions were like then. I was solo, and I know my limitations. I knew in advance that I wasn't going to make it all the way to Whitney (still had ice and winter conditions at Hamilton), but after a very scary and painful fall at Merton Creek, I turned around even earlier. I'm glad to have a partner this year, and much easier summer conditions and water crossings. Also, we'll have a full day and night at Lodgepole before we head out to start acclimating, and to get water for the trailhead.

I did cross a lot of small creeks on the way to Merton - were those all seasonal and likely to be dried up now this year?

We are planning to camp at Nine Mile Creek, Hamilton Lake, Big Arroyo junction, Moraine Lake, Kern Hot Springs and the JMT junction/Wallace Creek, prior to arriving at Guitar Lakes. I've heard there are bear boxes at (at least) Nine Mile & Hamilton, which would make packing the Bear Vaults easier. But are they reliable? I'm worried that there will be lots of other hikers, and since I'm so slow, they might fill up before I arrive.

Thanks all!
Adrienne (caplen)

Adrienne,

I think you will have a fantastic trip. My experience in researching AMS on Whitney is that people coming on the HST don't really have altitude issues, compared to people coming from the east. You will have quite a few days of acclimatization, with sleeping at altitude, and that really matters.

I would not take Diamox, and I say that as a person who is very prone to AMS. When I prescribe Diamox myself, as a physician, I recommend 1/2 of 125mg taken with dinner or at bedtime. While it is true that it works BEST if started a couple of days before the real push, it also can work if taken at bedtime for the next day.

I am not one to think that drugs are without side effects and issues. I think people are generally better off without them, if possible. For example, while Diamox is not used for blood pressure treatment, because it's a very mild diuretic and has little effect on BP, when you combine it with other BP meds, it might have an unexpected synergy with the BP meds, and drop your BP, or cause an electrolyte shift. By itself, a few dosed are not likely to do either, but when you mix drugs, fun things can happen.

I also recommend taking a dose or two AT HOME, where side effects are relatively easy to handle, compared to out on the trail.

So in summary: I'd not worry too much about AMS with your schedule. I would NOT take Diamox, unless you actually have a problem when you get to guitar lake. If you do, take a small dose at dinner or bedtime.

BTW, in the unusual situation of getting AMS, it is probably obvious, one doesn't have to actually climb Whitney to get out. With AMS, the extra 4 miles at altitude could be excruciating and even dangerous. Just going over Trail Crest, then down, should be doable for almost anyone.