Don't be put off by MONSTER MARMOT stories. Rodents of all kinds sometimes like to crawl into engine compartments, because it is warm and safe from predators. This happens often with mice and rats, but only when the car has been left unattended, with the hood closed, for a number of days.

I've been leaving my car at Sierra Nevada and White Mountain trailheads for 45 years, and have never had a problem with rodents under the engine hood.

If you're still worried about the Marmots, put several mothballs inside the engine compartment; that usually keeps all kinds of creatures out of the engine area. And maybe leave the hood open; it won't seem as safe from flying predators that way for the little guys. Don't forget to remove the mothballs before you start the engine to leave...ha ha.

By the way, at the risk of being insulting, I find it comical that folks who live far away from this area seem to think they know so much about local conditions and animals. You'd be better off listening to people who actually live here...

Last edited by Bob West; 09/13/12 12:26 PM.