Pretty weird to attribute swollen hands to hyponatremia. I see it a lot -- people often ask about it. I've always assumed it was due to initial fluid imbalance when hiking at altitude and that fluid accumulates in the tissues. I find that about a week after arriving at altitude (=> 10,000) I start pissing a lot for a day or so.

On the other hand (heh, heh, heh) I don't find my hands swelling a whole lot, though perhaps a little. And, this is obviously anecdotal and based on only my own theory -- I'd never bothered to research it, just assumed!

But I have seen it in people with and without hiking poles. As a side note, I do see a few people every year, hiking with poles, who get an allergic reaction apparently to the sun. They show very small blisters on the hand, which is always elevated and very exposed to the sun. I recommend gloves or even a bandana or gauze and the problem seems to go away.

Finally, hyponatremia is a definite problem. I know of two fatalities in the last 5 years in Sequoia Kings (actually, one just outside the park). There was one case I responded to. The guy survived, but was in a coma for two days or so (got him out at last light. Doubt he would have survived the night...). The first symptom I'm aware of is weakness and an altered mental state. We were told at one of our medical refreshers some years ago that it was extremely rare and we'd be unlikely to see it. Not so. Grand Canyon has a major education effort to make sure people not only drink fluids, but eat as well to maintain both carbs but also electrolytes.

Interested in the swollen hand thing though. It does happen a lot. As above, always assumed the body was retaining fluids. Comments from docs??

George

None of the views expressed here in any way represent those of the unidentified agency that I work for or, often, reality. It's just me, fired up by coffee and powerful prose.