Started up the trail at midnight Wednesday, Nov. 7. Overnighted Thursday, Nov. 8. Went to Trail Crest but did not summit because I had a headache. (Had it before the trip, actually).

Went back Friday night/Saturday morning at midnight, Nov. 10. Wind was tough, about 50 knots. Piled rocks on my tent pegs. Slept an hour in the tent and then headed for the summit at 6:00 a.m. Got back to the tent about two hours after dark. Overnighted Saturday. Very cold weather. I saw three hikers who turned back on Saturday. Lonesome on the trail by myself after that.

1. There was running water below Trail Camp in the little meadow Saturday morning. You do have to look for it.
2. Icy conditions and hard blowing snow with a near white-out in the upper reaches of the mountains during the day Saturday... beautiful and dangerous, especially on the switchbacks.
3. Used Stabilicer cleats screwed directly into my boot lugs.
4. Something more substantial than Stabilicers would have been nice for the upper half of the Switchbacks. Ice extended to the edge of the trail, or almost to the edge but was obscured by the blowing snow.
5. Water partly froze in my bottles which were under my jacket.
6. Lost my face cover. Had to place a gloved hand over my mouth and chin for protection from the cold wind. Used Chapstick on my face for added protection.
7. I was toasty warm at night in my Goose Down long underwear while sleeping on an Expedition Down Mat and inside a Down sleeping bag.
8. Used a Sawyer water filter screwed to a cola bottle. (Cola bottles do not leak).
9. My pack weighed 18 lbs, plus water. I never carried more than two liters at any time.
10. Wore one layer of Capilene under my extra long London Fog jacket and wore two layers of polypro under my insulated snow pants. Have dual zippers on each leg and kept the zippers down most of the time to let off sweat.
11. My camera would take only one pic at a time and would then shut down due to "low battery."
12. I'll try to include some pics after I get them downloaded.
13. A young couple left out behind me on Saturday morning for the Mountaineer's Route.

BamaFireman Jesse