I don't know what the dollar amount is for banks to go after CC fraud, but at my level, they don't seem overly interested. Cost of doing business seems to be the philosophy. A few years ago, I started having bogus charges show up. The bank caught them immediately and canceled the card, which I thought showed pretty good software on their end. I had just come out of the backcountry after 4 months and had used the card only twice. I told the card security guy that but he wasn't interested in following up. In both cases, it was at a restaurant where the employee took my card to swipe it. One was probably using a skimmer. I reported both to the local PD and even the restaurant chain, but doubt they followed up either.

On the other hand, we got a law enforcement training session from a guy from Secret Service. He started getting bogus charges on a card which he used only rarely. He was able to get one of his buddies to investigate and they caught and arrested an electronics store employee who was skimming cards. heh, heh, heh.

Also in my case, the first charge they made was to Ancestry.com. The theory was they wanted my mother's maiden name and other identifying information to access my bank accounts or the card itself. Also, the first charge is often very small to test if the card is still good.

What a pain... .

None of the views expressed here in any way represent those of the unidentified agency that I work for or, often, reality. It's just me, fired up by coffee and powerful prose.