Originally Posted By: NoUglyOneYet
Originally Posted By: + @ti2d
Originally Posted By: NoUglyOneYet
We're hoping for a permit for August, and having never backpacked before, are starting to stockpile gear. Husband saw a sleeping pad at Costco today that's 3 inches thick & self-inflating (brand: LightningSpeed), and only $35! Seems like it'd be comfy for a side-sleeper like me, but these babies weigh in at 5lbs! Is the comfort worth it, or should I start training myself to sleep on my back, and get a thinner (lighter!) pad?

Thanks!

Or you can opt for a one-day hike and forget all of this logistical planning... grin

Just so you know, Steve C is King Lightweight. All of his input is from his personal experiences.

laugh Good joke.

At least for an after day-hike, a Portal Burger and Fries does taste really good!

Well, at least you are going about it the right way...now instead of the day of...prior proper planning prevents p*ss poor performance...

You will find out what works and what does not...I recommend renting the gear if you can to save you some money...a lot of this stuff ain't cheap...if you rent something you like and then buy it...you will have something for future outings...

There will be others offering their input...and rest assured...when they say something works, I take it under advisement.

Have fun...

Journey well...