[quote=wbtravis]Why Diamox? You have stated you do not have high elevation experience thus no experience in properly dosing this drug. [/quote]

You know that brings up a great question. As noted here, my dad and I climbed Dana at the end of the Summer the year before our Whitney hike. Neither of us had any problem. I got to Whitney and the first time crashed. The second time, I used small doses of diamox (I think 125 but can't remember for sure if I have the measurement right) for a few days before they hike. I had no symptoms at all on the second hike. But can I say for sure it was the Diamox? I don't think so. Do I automatically take Diamox before any high altitude hike from now on? I just don't know. It is likely that I won't have time to acclimate on my next high altitude hike so I will probably just take it. That said, I've got innumerable peaks to climb here that won't ever take me over 7,000 ft with up to that much in elevation gain (starting at sea level).

Given a good discussion with a doctor, it is advisable for someone who will not have time to acclimate to take Diamox on a first time try? Even with my own experience, I don't feel qualified to answer that question but I lean toward yes.