The wag bag problem (and the water filter/not filter topic) is an issue that pops up every year in both boards and has been a subject of some heated debate at times. I'm surprised there hasn't been posters banned (maybe there has been??) due to the passionate back and forth of words at times bordering on insults. IMO, this is a difficult issue to resolve because it is focused on human nature and how to correct what those of us who care about our outdoors see as a destructive behavior in the careless disposal of waste. I'm no psychologist but it doesn't take one to realize the fact that correcting bad habits and changing a person's way of thinking is a tough, if not impossible task to undertake.

From my observation there appears to be three camps when it comes to tackling this difficult:

1) Punitive/punishment group: This is the group that has proposed measures such as bar coding or some sort of id method of the wag bags themselves in an effort to connect the bags to individuals and punish them through fines for not properly turning in used (or unused?) bags after their hike. I personally find this approach by itself to be flawed for a couple of reasons. One - it would be an expensive and overly complicated method to logistically employ and enforce. The Federal budget, as we all know, is stretched rather thin these days and the rangers time, as result, as well. Not to mention the long drawn out discussions and political debates and possible studies proposed that would ensue that could possibly drag out this solution for years. The actual cost of each bag would increase significantly depending on which method - bar code or id chip, further adding costs to an dwindling budget. Sure we could charge extra for permits but that would increase the cost (unfairly, IMO) of hiking especially for those who frequent the trail and as we all know the return on our wag bag investment will more likely than not be in the neighborhood of cents on the dollar due to government inefficiencies. Two, most importantly, there are those that would find a way around it. In my observations of people, I've come to the conclusion that there are individuals and groups out there that would seemingly expend more time, effort, and resources to get around doing something they don't want to do simply because they don't want to. It's true that it would require more energy and time to circumvent the wag bag turn in process but I've seen time and time again in my job (pharmacist) observing people going through great lengths to obtain meds illegally such as lying, falsifying legal documents, and facing arrest to get or do what they want.

2)The second camp proposes re-installing modern facilities at Outpost and Trail camps. I'm all for this however as mentioned before the money just isn't there plus due the long winded debates and proposed studies that have already dragged for years after removing the previously installed toilets I just don't see this happening any time in the near or distant future (maybe not in my lifetime).

3) The third camp, which I belong, seems to hold the minority view and that is educating hikers on the importance of practicing the policy of "Leave No Trace". This could be implemented in such forms as perhaps daily Whitney hikers meetings at the interagency manned by volunteers and rangers who, in addition to providing attendees with information about hiking Whitney, could also explain and teach the importance adhering to "Leave no Trace" and how it affects all of us and the future well being of the outdoors. There can be signs posted at strategic points on the trail (I personally would rather see a sign than a wag bag!) reinforcing these points. Lastly, and most importantly, we can talk to fellow hikers one on one and explain the importance of leave no trace, gently and patiently, wherever we meet them - on the trail, at our workplace, or at the store, wherever. This idea is cheap and we can implement it right now. Hopefully we can work to change peoples attitudes and behavior one person at a time, which will, IMHO, accomplish our goal of keeping our outdoor spaces as pristine as practically possible.

"Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying" Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption