Part 2 of 2...
Soon after I spotted the Granite Park Chalet, I heard and then spotted several hikers on a trail high above me -- the Garden Wall overlook spur. Rather than walk an extra mile, I climbed directly to the trail, 800 vertical feet above. It took me 40 minutes -- not sure if it saved me much time.

When I made it to the overlook, I was amazed to see the marmot licking the woman's leg. He was apparently enjoying the salt.

This was a great place to enjoy lunch, and the finest view of the day! The Garden Wall overlook, elev. 7500'.

If I am reading the map correctly, that's Mt Gould, 9553', in the clouds on the right, Grinnell Glacier below.

Here is the view (three pictures stitched together) from the ridge in the opposite direction, looking west to north. The peaks farthest north are in Canada.

Click here for a larger view, or this for the maximum.

Heading down to the Chalet, here's the view looking back to Logan Pass where I'd started in the morning. It is far in the distance on the left side.
This is a meadow filled with Glacier Lilies, near Granite Park Chalet.

Heading east over Swiftcurrent pass, hikers informed me I had missed seeing several bighorn sheep obscured in the forest. But I did get t his view of the Swiftcurrent Valley and its lakes. The Many Glacier hotel is on the shore of the next to last lake in the distance. You can see traces of my trail in the forest below. Unfortunately it was built far from the lakes.

Lush bear grass

Pretty flowers

Mama Moose right by the trail. Other hikers saw her with a calf by the lake earlier in the day.

My family walked a ways up the trail to meet me from the Swiftcurrent campground area. We saw this deer near the end.

The Many Glacier Hotel, taken from our rented canoe the next morning. The hotel is old, just under 100 years, completed in 1917.

This hike was truly memorable. I'm sure glad it was mentioned in the top hikes thread. I might talk a friend or two in doing it with me in a couple of years.

Here's the link to my pictures: Highline Trail 7-5-2013, Glacier National Park

From "EnjoyYourParks.com", The Highline Trail (lots of wildlife pictures)