Originally Posted By: Steve C
Originally Posted By: dbd
The issue is the same with Spot or cell phone or satellite phone. Pushing the right buttons to send a "nevermind" signal doesn't take away the responsibility that should have been there from the beginning

DBD, All I read in bobpickering's post was instructions on how to actually make a SPOT issue a Cancel-SOS signal. He didn't offer any opinion whether that was all one needed to do, or whether more was required. Leaving out any opinion is not supporting the idea of walking off without contacting the authorities.

That's true Steve. And I think that listing the mechanics of the Spot Cancel-SOS on an internet forum discussion of a cell phone emergency call without giving any opinion on is irresponsible and ought to lead to some questions. I asked some.

I didn't question the accuracy of his Spot instructions, so by your logic, the questions in my post were also absolutely correct.

Please note that the post that you quoted was my response to saltydog's:
Originally Posted By: saltydog
I have to wonder how this thread got so caught up with the hypothetical SPOT issue. What about the actual issue the facts here raise: these 4 hikers called 911, FROM THE JMT, initiated SAR, boots on the ground and chopper in the air, then got themselves straightened out, went on their merry way and made no more effort than to mention it to other passing hikers.

Discuss.

What you quoted was not my response to bobpickering. Why did you remove that significant information and then respond as if it were my post to bobpickering? Or didn't you notice the difference? But saltydog raises the same question that concerned me when I saw a post about Spot mechanics appear in a discussion that had otherwise moved to the topic of the appropriate behavior in cancelling an emergency call from a cell phone.

Dale B. Dalrymple