Originally Posted By: Steve C
We haven't heard much about the bears at Whitney Portal, this year. I wonder if there is less of a problem, or if people just aren't reporting them.

For anyone reading this: Hikers getting ready to dayhike in the early morning darkness at Whitney Portal are often targets....actually their backpacks are the targets. Remember, do NOT set your pack or any food down and walk away. The bears like to lurk in the shadows, and will run in, grab a pack that someone has set down, and run away with it.

This is exactly what happened to me on 8-5-13 at 1:30am. I was parked one spot from the bathroom and just put my keys into my backpack before I went to use the bathroom. Our 2 packs were in the back of my highlander with the hatch open. My friend was at the back and walked to the front seat to grab her phone and in a matter of a few seconds a bear highjacked my backpack! It was found about an hour later with all the food eaten, a ruined water filter and my camel back punctured as well. Next time I know better!