Originally Posted By: Steve C

Do you think people are looking more for solitude, or do they just pick a site because it's the end of the day with water nearby? From Saltydog's description, it sounds like solitude isn't sought after by many.

Another impression is the number of people you meet solo on the trail that you never see again, or do not see for days at a time. I was actually one of those, as I spent about half my nights not in sight or contact with anyone else. OF the other half, I was only actually with company, such as during meal time, once outside of resupply stops. That was at Tyndall Frog Ponds, where a bunch of us were conferring on strategy for getting over the Crest with a weather system moving in. I had complete solitude whenever I wanted it, and I think many others did too.

I had some amazing places all to myself: south shore of Garnet Lake, middle of Lake Edison, Upper Bear Creek Meadow, Evo Meadow, Little Pete Meadow, Palisade Lake, below Dollar Lake, 60 Lakes Basin Trail Jct, Center Basin Tr Jct, and virtual solitude at several others.

Also keep in mind that those seeking solitude are the ones you don't see.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!