I flew to Quito in December, 2010, and suffered from symptoms of AMS for the better part of my first 24 hours there - not the best way to start off on a big adventure! I wasn't aware that there is now a new airport in Quito. It could be better to stay near there for the first night or two.

This is an interesting topic and the tips on the website you referenced are good. Staying hydrated to keep AMS at bay seems important, especially with the tendency to get dehydrated on a long flight. And light activity but not heavy exertion after arriving. Maybe a little Diamox in the evening to help with nighttime breathing.

What I remember about Ecuador is eating great unusual fruits and staying in the classic haciendas between climbs. And the wonderful people too, of course.

In Bolivia, July being winter, we got snowed on almost down to 12,000'. But winter also corresponds to their dry season, so the snow was light. Where the mountains were glacier covered, the snow on the ground was similar to what you saw in Ecuador. On the day we left, it had snowed through the night in El Alto where the airport is, but down in La Paz it was cold rain. It was funny to board the plane with fresh snow on the ground and arrive home to evening temperatures in the upper 90's!

We spent 20 days in Bolivia, starting with a trek in the highlands to acclimatize. By the end we had summited Huayna Potosi (19,974') and Parinacota (20,827'). We attempted Sajama (21,463') but from high camp the conditions were such that, well, we had to save that one for another time. I did have some minor AMS in the morning at high camp (18,600') on Sajama which kept me from going higher, but that was well into the trip and didn't have anything to do with flying there, the subject of this thread. As for a trip report, I couldn't top what our guide, Joe Stock, posted about the trip on his web site: http://www.stockalpine.com/posts/bolivia.html .