Originally Posted By: Fishmonger

the cuben fiber worshippers over at backpackinglight.com would crucify you if you posted that view over there laugh

I wish I had a picture of my Army pack; it was made out of some sort of coated canvas with old-fashioned fabric webbing straps. It was square and and could bee adjusted from "insufferable" to "uncomfortable"...! Fully packed, it weighed 70lbs worth of rescue crap.

The whole "ultralight" thing has gone from sublime to idiotic on some levels (drilling holes in the spoon to make it "lighter") Yes, I can certainly appreciate packing efficiency, but I once observed an individual so uncomfortable on an overnighter, that I truly began to question his sanity (as he CHOSE to leave behind essential gear in exchange for making the summit about 45min ahead of the rest of the group (due to the fact that he was soooo "light") And, no, I did not offer to compromise my comfort by lending gear to mitigate his idiocy. (He was perfectly healthy and could have easily carried the extra 2lbs of down)

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.