Quote:
There's nothing unusual about wanting to remain anonymous to the general public on internet forums. That's why there's set up that way with Private Messaging and Moderators. Who knows, someone pretending to be an engineer might use my license.

It is EXCEEDINGLY unusual to post on an internet forum anonymously, and expect to claim credentials as any kind of expert. It is not possible to confirm credentials, and just as importantly, it is not possible to ascertain conflicts of interest. For example, it would tremendously bias anyone's opinion of what you say, if you did contract work on water structures for the State of Ca. But there is no way to know.

you also have a tendency to simply make pronouncements as obvious and established fact, as opposed to citing links supporting your position. Surely your profession has robust literature??

In my profession, I'm required, anytime I get up in front of an audience, to state any conflicts of interest and financial interests. It's that important.

Over on Supertopo, people solicit Ed Hartouni's opinion on the spread of nuclear fallout from Japan (essentially none). A lot of people have opinions, but he is an expert, and does not hide his identity.

You appear to take the position that no one who is not a licensed engineer could possibly know anything about water, and that engineering solutions are the only solutions, and that anyone else is a doofus.

I could list the almost infinite mistakes and disasters that licensed engineers have caused, but that's true of any occupation. the whole global warming thing is because of things designed and built by engineers, where they didn't consider the consequences. In fact, a broad perspective is much much better.

Here in Los Angeles, we have a different perspective than you appear to have:

Quote:
The City of Los Angeles

The City of Los Angeles’ Water Integrated Resources Plan (IRP) started with a simple yet ambitious vision: City Departments working with the community to manage water resources holistically. This innovative approach led the City down a seven-year path toward a plan for Los Angeles’ future. The IRP integrates supply, conservation, recycling and runoff management with wastewater facilities planning through a regional watershed approach, enlisting the public in the planning and design development process.

Departing from traditional single-purpose planning efforts, the IRP resulted in greater efficiency in water resource management and multiple citywide benefits, including energy and cost savings, reduced dependence on imported water, reusing stormwater and conserving drinking water.

Rainwater harvesting was foundational, identifying local solutions as pillars for sustainability—resulting in a downspout program that will be expanded citywide.

Transforming the City’s water footprint is the Elmer Avenue green street project that includes an infiltration gallery that captures runoff and recharges it underground. Neighbors embrace the bioswales with drought-tolerant native plants and permeable surfaces that adorn this appealing greenspace.

The South Los Angeles Wetlands Park will convert an asphalt/concrete rail yard into a 4.5-acre stormwater treatment wetland habitat that captures and treats pollutants and also will include a pocket park—another win-win for the community.

The IRP also produced a far-reaching Low Impact Development ordinance and a 20% reduction in water use due to conservation incentives and education.

Los Angeles’ water consumption today is the same as it was 30 years ago despite one million more users.

As implementation continues, the City keeps stakeholders engaged and involved—putting Los Angeles on the path to becoming the greenest and cleanest big City in America while ensuring a waterwise and sustainable future.

As a member of the Steering Committe of the IRP, I was proud when we were awarded the United States Water Prize 2012 for what we've accomplished.

http://www.uswateralliance.org/u-s-water-prize/2011-prize-winners/