Originally Posted By: 63ChevyII.com
Originally Posted By: wbtravis

Insulation...I have 800 fill power 3 season down jacket.

I am looking at an 800 fill jacket treated with DWR. I don't see a waterproof rating for it though. I'm guessing that you should still carry a poncho or rain jacket?

Are down jackets (I've never had one), good at blocking out wind?

The DWR treated 800-fill power down is a good choice. Keep it a thin one - not a winter parka. Any insulation layer should never be used in rain or snow without a waterproof shell layer anyway. They all lose effectiveness when wet. And this combo is too warm to climb in, so the insulation layer is for camp or sleeping or perhaps hiking down the mountain. Keep your shell layer light and as breathable as possible - this and a good base layer will keep you comfortable when active in almost any situation. You won't be wading any deep crossings on MMWT, but for general purposes, I'd buy a dedicated waterproof stuff sack (Summit-to-Sea sil-nylon or similar ultralight version) for insulating and base layer clothing, or use a trash compactor pack liner - worse case is probably having to hike through an afternoon thunderstorm. Most likely it will clear up for sunset, which is a common weather pattern, if you get any "weather" at all in July. This system will work fine in a freak snow storm - which is a remote possibility. Don't forget a thin (fleece or similar) hat and gloves - they add a ton of warmth for chilly mornings or evenings. Think light layers and accessories.

Lots of different opinions about the bear canister. I agree with WBT that the Ursack is a great alternative, but you may want to rent a canister for $5 instead - when you pick up your permit. They rent the Garcia model, which is a little heavy, but it may make the most sense. Depends on your longterm needs - do some research on this thread and elsewhere.

Last edited by SierraNevada; 03/18/14 08:56 AM.