Ah, yes......the year that I travelled up Rattlesnake Creek, I tried to find that trail to cut over to Big Arroyo. Never did find where it connected with Rattlesnake, and that is why I kept heading up to Forester Lake.

Okay, I see what you are doing, once at the Lost Creek Crossing, you head on over to Soda Creek, then down to Big Arroyo.

A couple things on Sawtooth. I am assuming you are taking the new trail to Monarch Lakes (verses the old one that was in existence until the 70's). When you get to Monarch, do not head up the sand trail. Look to the left and you will see 2 ribbons of granite that extend up. In between the 2 ribbons is a well pound, solid ground with grass and bushes. It's like walking up steps. It tops out near Glacier Pass and from their, it's an easy, slight grade to the pass.

In the past, I would leave my pack at the pass and climb Sawtooth Peak. Easy climb.......

The backside is a multitude of trails....

Once you reach the Kern River, it's 4 miles to the hot springs, or 2.2 to the HST and another 1.8 to the springs. If you get down to the Kern River, there is a great campsite at the junction....just walk past the row of stones, into the tree. The campsite sits on the bank over looking the Kern. This is the campsite I complained about a couple years ago where packers used it. I was just there last week.

paul