Originally Posted By: Akichow
The 4-6 hour estimate sounds about right -- I am a slow (but steady) hiker and I think it took me 5 or 5.5 hours?

I'm not particularly fast myself (unlike my father-in-law). My two dayhikes of Mt. Whitney were 16 & 19 hrs. Altitude hits me hard.
I usually do the hike up Ski Hut Trail and down Devil's Backbone in 6-7 hrs.

Originally Posted By: 63ChevyII.com

So, as of now, here are my thoughts:

If there's no chance of of summiting Whitney:
Day 1 - Mt. Dana, afternoon hike to Devil's Postpile w/ family
Day 2/3- White Mtn, Mt Langley or MWMT hike to Trail Camp

Based on Bob Rockwell's last set of pictures, I think it's safe to say that this trip falls into the "no chance of of summiting Whitney" category. eek

I have a few questions about the other Day 2/3 options listed above

White Mountain
1. The prospect of starting the hike at the Partriarch Grove turnoff and adding 9 miles to the hike isn't all that appealing. If we were to move the signs and drive the road as far we safely could (as suggested above), are there any repercussions (fines, etc) I need to worry about?
2. If we park at the turnoff, we may try to hike to Barcroft Gate on Day 2, camp for the night, then try to make the summit for sunrise. Would you be worried about leaving a tent and overnight pack at Barcroft with all the marmots running around?
3. Is it ok to car camp anywhere along White Mountain Rd?

Mt. Langley
4. Is New Army Pass the route that will most likely allow us to summit (snow conditions)?
5. Is New Army pass the safest route?
6. What is the preferred route when nearing the summit of Langley?
7. Is there any cell coverage on Langley? Is it likely that we will be picked up at the trailhead, so it would be nice if we could call or text our family at some point.
8. If we hike Langley, my family will be hanging out in Lone Pine for the day. Is there anything to do with an adventuresome 2 year old?