I'm starting this thread with the intent to discuss the various options to the human waste problem on Mt Whitney. There will be a little intro, some background to explain how and why the current wag bag process was started, and the issues with the current system, however, the focus of the discussion should be the options that are now available and how to move forward. For readability purposes, I'm going to make a few posts with all this info.

To help keep everyone on topic there are going to be some "ground rules".

1. This thread is for brainstorming.
2. There are no bad ideas.
3. Opinions are fine, but be respectful.
4. Try to build off other ideas.
5. Be clear, concise, and constructive.

INTRODUCTION:
For anyone that is asking "What is a Wag Bag and why is there sooooo many discussions about them?" (WAG = Waste Alleviation and Gelling)
If you plan to hike Mt. Whitney, for better or worse (more on the side of worse) you will quickly become acquainted with the ubiquitous (much like an invasive species along the trail) object.

I like the little intro from http://www.mount-whitney.com regarding the WAG Bag:

Mt Whitney WAG Bag

As well as standard practices for leaving no trace, you must take even more heroic measures; the amount of human waste on Mt. Whitney had raised a big stink…

So, what goes up must come down. Along with your permits, you are issued a WAG BAG — a system for packing out your "waste". The bags can be obtained in Lone Pine at the Interagency Visitors Center and the Crabtree Ranger Station. The cost of the WAG bag is included in your $15 fee.
The WAG bag is a plastic bag with a urine-activated powder to encapsulate and deodorize solid waste. The waste is then contained in a zip-lock style bag to pack it down the mountain.
Keep your used WAG bag out of the sun, check the seal, and carry some extra plastic bags to double bag your , er, "stuff".

Now doesn't that all just sound so exciting when thinking about spending some time out on the trail.