I have a group of 4 with overnight permits for entry on Monday, 7/28. Because of a change in family vacation plans that require I be in San Francisco on 7/30, we are considering all our options for getting as early a start as possible. With that in mind, I would like to confirm/ask the following:

1. Is it true the permit will allow us to actually enter the zone as early as midnight Sunday night?

2. Assuming so, are we allowed to cover the 2.8 miles up to Lone Pine Lake before midnight?

3. Again, assuming we are hiking in the wee hours after midnight, at what point are we allowed to pick a site and pitch our tents for camping? The thinking is to make the summit Monday and then back down to camp at either TC or OC. In that scenario, it could be nice to go ahead and setup the tent and drop some gear during a break on the way up.

4. Even better would be the ability to legitimately start our hike on Sunday. It appears from other threads that the only chance for this is to visit Lone Pine on Saturday (or Sunday) and get unclaimed permits. Any other creative ideas?

I appreciate any guidance. I made the summit last year and look forward to making an attempt with my oldest son. Joining us will be my buddy from last years hike who only made it to the cables before turning back. The more time we have, the better our chances!