From a historic point of view I have been much more focused on the destination, rather than the journey. This year I hope to change that orientation, and spend more time photographing the journey, rather than racing to the destination (while taking a few snap shots along the way).

Toward that end, during the week of June 16th I spent three days at Mammoth Lakes doing day hikes in order to become better acclimatized. I really like the area above Lake Mary/George Lake/Crystal Lake, so decided to hike up to Mammoth Crest from George Lake. I did this hike late in the day (started around 3:00 PM), and was treated to good clouds, and setting sun. The first two pictures were taken near Mammoth Crest, looking North/North West.

My final destination for this trip was Mt. Langley, via Lake # 6.

I started early in the morning, departing Horseshoe Meadows at 4:30 AM. I wanted to reach the chute west of Lake # 6 before the snow bacame too soft.

I was making good time, so decided to stop by Muir Lake. Very nice. Check out the beach in the first photo.

Next, a shot of Old Army Pass with Lake 5 in the foreground, and Lake 4 in the background. As you can see, there was still a good bit of snow toward the top of the trail.

As I headed up toward Lake 6 I noticed a couple of interesting trees that I felt were photo worthy, so stopped to take pictures.

Much to my chagrin, I found myself in the middle of a bolder field, with no apparent exit. I did wander for quite a while, and finally realized that there was no way I could get to Lake # 6, and the chute up towards Mt. Langley, before it became quite warm. I need to check with So.BayMark to find the path. There were many cairns, but none of them seemed to lead anywhere. Most interesting.

Fortunately for me, I was focused on the journey, so no big deal that I would not reach my intended destination. Therefore, time to head back.

Final picture was taken on the way back to the Trail Head.

So, no "tick mark" by Mt. Langley, but a glorious day nonetheless.

Last edited by John Sims; 07/07/14 03:28 PM.