I saw your pic from the Ravine and immediately recognized the area. Did you take one of the three sites on the lower road? Those are even more secluded.

I actually took the one closest to the signs but in hindsight I would have preferred the one closest to the road. At least when I broke camp.

And yeah I feel a bit stupid about the AMS guy. I did so much reading and I had heard of HACE, but for whatever reason I thought that was an Everest "death zone" condition and really never considered something like that a possibility on Whitney (nor had I read any accounts of it occurring on Whitney). So my main concern with him was a fall, which was a very real concern.

But I feel kind of guilty that with more study I might have known what was happening and made him descend immediately.

On the other hand, and this seems to be the same circle we always think ourselves into in this situation, I didn't know the guy. Had never met him. He simply showed up with is friend unexpectedly. That shouldn't make me automatically responsible for him.

Still, the last thing I want to do is have any part in someone being seriously injured or killed, whether I know them or not,