Originally Posted By: Fishmonger
Originally Posted By: John Sims
There are great options for smaller mirror less cameras today that provide all the artistic capabilities of traditional SLRs. For instance, the Sony A7R has a full frame 36 MP sensor, and good options for lenses. Probably 1/2 the size and weight of traditional SLR, with no sacrifice in features & function. Many other options for APS-C Size sensors for less than $400.00 with many lens choices.

It can add up to significant $$$, but if you happen to be ready to upgrade cameras something to think about.

SONY A7 (16.7 oz./474 g with battery and card, with a Nikon F adapter weighs about 18.1 oz./515 g),

Nikon D600 (30.0 oz./850 g with battery and card)

12 oz, or 335 grams difference. Everything else in your photo kit will weight the same, or you are using inferior glass (which will always weigh more than the camera). And the $1000 the Sony costs more than my camera puts it way off in UL gear pricing territory.

I must be missing something on your price argument, because:
- The Sony A7 (24 MP version - same as Nikon D610) is less than $1500.
- A new Nikon D610 is $1896 at B&H (D600 is discontinued, and even used cost approx. same as new Sony A7)
- This makes the Sony $400 less than the Nikon (as opposed to $1,000 more)

So, which setup is "UL pricing"?

On the weight issue, no need for the Nikon F adaptor. Both native lenses (55mm and 35mm Sony/Zeiss) are considered to be excellent, and weigh no more than Nikon lenses. Perhaps not quite 1/2 the weight, but close. If you are planning on taking several lenses (longer lenses in particular) then I do have to agree with you the weight difference begins to become a bit of a non issue. And, if you already have an investment in Nikon lenses then the cost argument is very different. No question that lens selection for the Sony is limited, but that is changing. Also, I qualified my comment as follows: "It can add up to significant $$$, but if you happen to be ready to upgrade cameras something to think about."

Of course the Nikon gear is excellent as well. They do have an excellent sensor - supplied by Sony I believe.

My point was, and still is, you can go much lighter than traditional DSLR with new mirror less cameras, with little or no compromise. As I also mentioned, by going with an APS-C sized sensor camera you can get both weight and price down lower.

Finally, I think we can agree that the quality of the final product (the photograph) is way more influenced by the photographer than the gear itself. I've no doubt that you could produce beautiful photographs with even the most basic of cameras. It is what you do I think.