My Mt. Whitney attempt is finally here. I'm going for a 2-3 day trip. September 2-4. I'm putting up my tentative game plan so some of the seniors can evaluate this to see if I'm missing anything major.

Hiking Plan
  • Tuesday - leave Horseshoe Meadows to head to Whitney Portal and start hike to Trail Camp. Set up camp and eat/sleep/acclimatize some more.
  • Wednesday - wake up. Trail Camp to summit attempt then back down to Trail Camp, pack up, and move on to Lone Pine lake and possible camp the night there. I read that this lake sees far less nighttime foot traffic through tent areas as opposed to the lake closer to the portal entrance. I'm hoping that there is a trail marker/sign, or something obvious, that points me on the right path to this lake. smile
  • Thursday - Lone Pine Lake to Portal. Find an awesome place to eat and celebrate.

Now here are my questions/concerns
  • I was able to find plenty of water information from various postings/resources on this site, so I don't have any immediate concerns. I am a water filter person so I'm carrying one. I keep reading that Trail Camp pond might be sketchy though, but with a filter I should be okay.
  • I'm using one Nalgene on the hike up and just refilling on the way. I'm bringing an empty 100ounce camelpack blister bag that I plan to fill up at Trail Camp and use it for my following day summit attempt. In my head this seems like a solid plan.
  • Do I need to worry about mosquitoes? I know this is lame, but I'm curious. I assume they're just at mild annoyance level near stagnant water sources such as the lower lakes?
  • I was curious about bear canister storage while at Trail Camp but found the answer to that among other posts: just pack up ALL SMELLABLES including food and put it slightly aside from your tent smile
  • I was curious about how realistic the marmot threat was at Trail Camp, but found that answer too: pack up all food and any item that has scent into your bear canister. Think about leaving tent completely unzipped and open so they can walk into it instead of chewing into it. Now does this mean that I should leave my sleeping pad and sleeping mat open and not packed up inside the tent? How safe/anal should I be about this.
  • I've been utilizing this weather site for updates (trying to be as prepared as possible).
  • I found advice that it is sometimes smart to collapse your Trail Camp tent, if you plan to leave it behind, while attempting your summit. Obviously due to high wind potential. I'm thinking this is a smart thing and should be done no matter what. Should I put a rock or two on it? smile
  • I'm spending 4 days at Aspendell 8500+ feet. Monday morning heading to Horseshoe Meadows as early as possible, with the goal of spending all day and night at 10k feet. If Horseshoe Meadows has no room, my back up is Onion Valley.
  • Is it possible Horseshoe Meadows might be 100% full. I mean is this a common thing?
  • I'm still deciding a good time to pack up at Horseshoe Meadows and drive to Portal.
  • I assume I park wherever I can park at Portal and I obviously need to pay some fee (I hope this is an obvious process) and I will make sure there is no food/scented items in my car and utilize a bear locker if I need too. I won't be leaving valuables in the locker if I need to use it.
  • I was slightly nervous about some of the trail after Trail Camp, meaning was the path obvious (this was due to various posts), but I think for the most part that uneasiness has been squashed. Just be smart and pay attention, not to mention there will probably be many other hikers out too. I do not plan on any nighttime hiking for this adventure.

This is wordy, I know, but I'm trying to be as prepared as possible. I'm actually not a novice, but I'm entirely 100% new to this mountain and a huge believe of the whole prepared as possible bit.

Any pointers/advice is greatly appreciated and might possible make me remember some of my other questions.