TeamBruin lives a block away from Eaton Canyon. We know the area in question very well. It is an easy walk/hike along the canyon floor to the base of the first falls. (A quick Google search will include what John Muir said about these falls 140+ years ago.)

They shouldn't have been there in the first place. Ascending from the canyon floor to get to the top of the first falls or to be anywhere in the upper Eaton Canyon area has been banned since August 1st of this year due to the increasing numbers of injuries, rescues, and unfortunately deaths. Sixty or so "hikers" have been plucked off of the steep and crumbly-shale canyon walls in the last three years, and since that time five have fallen to their deaths. Violators of the prohibition are subject to a fine of up to $5,000 or six months in jail.

Local news reports include statements from the church group that they have done this "many times", that they were "prepared", and that they "knew what they are doing." If true, and that they've been to this location before, they should be very familiar with the prohibition on entering this upper canyon (either from below and climbing up, or dropping in from Idelhour Camp above and rappelling down). In fact, the closure was well publicized even before it went into effect.

In the 2+ decades we have lived next to this popular canyon, I've never seen anyone staging their gear or entering to go "canyoneering" while wearing only lightweight shorts, tank tops, and tennis shoes. I suppose my idea of proper preparation for any possible situation is different than this church group's. Also, if properly prepared and geared up, would a fire to "keep warm" in an incredibly tinder-dry canyon have been necessary? The minimum temps that night were approximately 50 degrees. Such disregard is infuriating, as a similar situation occurred in October 1993 re a person trying to "keep warm" on a trail above Eaton Canyon -- but that resulted in a campfire that got out of hand, destroyed 151 homes and injured 67 firefighters.

Needless to say, I don't have a lot of sympathy for this group.