I have stopped at Lone Pine Lake twice; once on a day hike (early July), and once as a planned overnight camp site (early June); and both times I was visited by lots of the little friends.

Not having seen them at Whitney Portal campground; or any mention of them in trip reports, videos, books; I was unprepared for the volume of ants at the campsite on the western side of the lake.

I admit it- I'm a 'Wuss' when it comes to ants.(With Modern Chemistry I can deal with chiggers, ticks and flying insects.) I moved my site twice on the west side of the lake in the trees; and when I had them on my legs, water bottle and stove within 30 minutes of setup; enough was enough; and I left for an 'ant free' environment.

Fortunately I don't have to deal with these little friends in Grand Canyon- Just mice, ravens and ringtail cats; so have forgotten how to deal with them.

Is this a seasonal issue, my bad karma, the selection of a site in the trees on the West side; or do I need to bring lots of 'Raid' to 'carpet spray' the site(which won't make the wild life people happy)? Are they just at the Western side of Lone Pine Lake and not higher up; since I haven't seen any mention of them at campsites?

If they are part of 'the experience'; then what are some tips to mitigate their exploring (short of 'Raid")?