The JMT has been on my "bucket list" for a long time now. My best chance of getting it done will be next year in the month of July. I will retire from the Navy 31 July 2011, but if I manage my vacation time correctly I will be done "working" around mid May of that year. My wife insists the trip be done while I am still on active duty and still have full medical. This leaves the month of July as my window.

I want to hike south to north because I want to knock the big stuff out early. Besides, almost everyone goes the other way and I hate following the herd. Going S-N keeps the better bailouts during the second half when I would probably need them anyway.

I want to do it in ten days or less. Nine days, 23 hours and 59 minutes is less than ten days, so anything around that time would work. That works out to 21-22 miles a day. I can see the first day being a big mile day (while I'm fresh) and the last day being a big mile day (a lot of downhill).

Lastily I want to do it unsupported. No mail drops, no resupply, no friends meeting me, etc. That has me hauling a big load (for me anyway) most the way up Whitney. That could be a problem. Ten days will mean 15-20 pounds of just food.

My big hurdle is I've never hiked like this before. I have done several 48 hour hikes but we never even brought a stove or much food. Mylar bivys and no tents. The longest I've ever been out was last years epic failure when it took me 60 hours to complete my 70+ mile loop in Kings Canyon.

I would like to do a practice hike this year to see if I have what it takes to be out there that long. I'm thinking a three day 70 mile trip with two overnights. Any suggestions on where? I need someplace where a drop off and pick up would be easy and it should have bail out options in case it goes bad.

Your thoughts - positive, constructive, etc are very much wanted..........................................DUG