WB, I think you nailed the practicality of weather forecasts for the typical hiking season in the Sierra. Most people pay more attention heading into winter snow than trail hiking in August, so I believe forecasts should be more than a "grain a salt" sometimes. I'm a bit of a geek, researching the forecast from an atmospheric level (Howard Sheckter) down to precise freezing elevation levels (mountain-forecast) with NOAA, Accuweather and usual suspects in the middle. As always, hike your own hike.

If mountain-forecast is consistently over-predicting snow on a particular mountain, as some have indicated, than that's useful information for estimating the "worse case" in comparison with other sources. Mountain-forecast is pushing the science by taking point-forecasting to a new level, but I wouldn't throw them out with the bathwater. Here's their disclaimer:

"While this information may be indispensable in planning your ascent, please treat it critically and verify against other sources. Our weather algorithms are thoroughly tested and proven to work well for thousands of mountain ski resorts and surf breaks; however, the database of mountain locations may contain errors at this early stage. Please send your feedback – it will be crucial for ironing out bugs and expanding the forecast coverage."

Last edited by SierraNevada; 06/07/15 11:02 AM.