So, unexpectedly, I'll be able to get away for a couple of overnight trips this month grin

I've looked around a bit for overnight permits and predictably, there isn't much available. Here are some of the hikes/places I am thinking about, as well as some questions. I would like to get the group up to 13k+ if possible. I think the group would be better with just 1 night on the trail, but could probably be convinced to spend 2...

1. Langley - Are we likely to grab 3 or 4 overnight permits for Cottonwood Lakes if we show up at the Eastern Sierra Interagency Visitor Center on a Friday morning? I am open to doing this as a dayhike, but I think overnight might be better for us.

2. What about Kearsarge Pass? What peaks should I consider in this area? How much exposure is there getting to the summit block of Mt. Gould?

3. Mosquito Flats/Little Lakes Valley - what routes/peaks would you look at from this TH?

4. Cloudripper - don't know much about this hike, but I found it on one my 'to hike' lists. laugh Is JM22 the right trail? Has anyone else her hiked it?

5. Any other suggestions? Would like to keep it to class 2 or easier for the most part, maybe some very easy class 3 or cross country travel, covering < 25 miles (unless the terrain is easy). We live in the Riverside area and hoping to not spend more than 8-10 in the car, roundtrip.

6. What's the difference between an overnight and cross country permits, as far as recreation.gov is concerned?