I was curious what the smoke coverage from the Rough Fire looks like around the Sierra right now. I can tell from the webcam that's it's pretty saturated on the East side, at least by Whitney. I assume places just south (like Cottonwood Lakes area) are in similar conditions. From what I gather from wind maps, it looks like the wind is pushing North East, but with smoke coverage south of the fire (in Whitney, for example), that may not be accurate? Some of my typical fire sites and resources offer more smoke coverage information than I've seen for this particular fire, so I'm having a harder time piecing it together.

I assume most of the Eastern Sierra is in the same shape. Can that be confirmed? What about SW Sierra (Mineral King and south)? I had permits and was planning a trip late next week to Cottonwood Lakes with my 6-year old, but don't want be hacking lungs the whole time or staring into a blanket of smoke. I've lived in forest fires areas long enough to realize winds can shift quickly and conditions could be very different 5-6 days from now (especially as the fire spreads), but just wondering what it looks like out there now.

Thanks in advance smile