DUG, Those smart-mouth days were wild weren't they. I once shook an angry fist at a CHP officer. Got a ticket 5 minutes later. He never showed up in court. I once told a motorcycle cop "Bull****!" while he was writing a ticket. I paid that one.

But regarding the permits, as long as a hiker has a legal permit and starts hiking on the day specified on the permit, that permit is good for 14 days, regardless of what the exit date states (except that you cannot exit the wilderness and re-enter -- that would require a new permit.)

The exit date is just for information-collection purposes, such as loved ones reporting you missing. If your permit says you planned to exit on a specific date, and you're reported missing a week after that, they probably won't start looking for you on the trail.

Feniantrekker should tell the rangers of the change in plans when he picks up the actual permit, and they will change the information on the permit accordingly.

wbtravis reference to the Trail Crest Exit permit is a different permit, unlike the permits to enter and hike on the main Mt Whitney trail. It is designed to limit the number of people coming in from Horseshoe Meadows or Onion Valley (or other points north) and exiting on the Mt Whitney trail. With that kind of trip, two permits are required: The trail entry permit, AND the Trail Crest exit permit. In this ONE UNIQUE situation, it matters WHEN you exit.

Furthermore, if you came across Trail Crest on the specific Exit Permit date, you are still probably ok to camp/stay multiple days on the Main Mt Whitney Trail before actually exiting at Whitney Portal.

And one last point, (for others reading this) if you are starting your hike OUTSIDE the Inyo National Forest trails, as in coming from the west side, starting the hike in Sequoia National Park, the Trail Crest exit permit is not required. Hiking out on the Main Mt Whitney Trail is perfectly ok with the single permit.