VERY interesting! I'll add that to my gear next trip!

Interestingly, the article didn't mention duct tape, which is what many hikers say works.

My method over the years has been something similar: Athletic or sports tape -- that one-inch wide tape used to wrap legs with shin splints, etc. Whenever I'd feel a hot spot starting, I stop and wrap the foot heavily in the area of the hot spot. My theory is that the hot spot is developing because the outside layer of skin is flexing or stretching more than the inner layer can accommodate, so wrapping the area with the cloth tape, which does NOT stretch at all, would stop the layer of skin beneath from stretching and pulling against the inner layer. In long hikes, I would leave the tape on the foot for days. It usually prevented any blisters from forming, but occasionally, the top of the foot, where the tape would wrap all the way around the foot, would get a rash due to the adhesive or being completely wrapped and unable to breathe.

I am pretty sure the paper tape would work similarly to the sports tape: it prevents the outer skin layer from flexing too much. Same for duct tape.

By the way, on my last long hike, I used Bridgedale socks, which contain a blend of merino wool, nylon, and "endurofil polypropylene" fibers. When hot spots started while wearing my all-merino socks, I switched to the bridgedale socks (31% merino wool, 31% Endurofil, 37% nylon, 1% Lycra), and the hot spots vanished, without taping or anything. I liked those socks so much, I bought several more pairs for my next hikes. They are still avaliable, worth every penny!