Working out final plans for a 2016 combo Mt. Whitney and Yosemite adventure. This will be the fourth year in a row for visiting Whitney, so we've got planning and logistics down for that one. However, I have a question regarding Yosemite that I'm hoping folks more familiar with the area (I am from NC) and with Yosemite specifically, can help with.

We already have a day hike permit for hiking the cables at Half Dome. I know to camp in LYV takes the proper wilderness permit. I also know there are none available for our date at this late stage. We are fine with doing Half Dome as a long day hike, but would love to stay in Yosemite Valley the night before to facilitate an early start on the trail. From my research today, I see there is a backpacker's campground behind North Point Campground in the valley. Information I've found so far says that you can camp here the night before starting a hike as long as you have a valid permit. My question is this. Does a Half Dome day hike permit qualify as a valid permit for purposes of using the backpacker's campground the night before we start our adventure?

Would appreciate any input from anybody who knows the system at Yosemite. The information I've found so far seems to revolve around the permits for back country camping and not the specific rules related to the backpacker's campground in the valley used pre-hike and post-hike.