In this forum people often ask questions like, "Is there a hike you can recommend to help me adjust to the altitude of Mt. Whitney...", or similar questions. Good question. The flat answer is (take this from a former SAR member)that a one-shot hike to Mt. Baldy (or wherever) is not going to do much of anything toward prevent AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness - altitude sickness). It has been proven by medical research and by the experience of knowledgeable mountaineers, that sleeping at least several nights at intermediate altitudes, in stages, is the best way to stave-off AMS. Even the best of preparation and precautions are no guarantee that you won't get AMS.

Even youth and excellent physical condition will not guarantee that you won't get AMS. In fact, it is a medical fact that older people are less prone to AMS. At age 78 (the secret is out!) I haven't had AMS in over 30 years, and I'm a frequent mountain traveler in the Sierra Nevada, at high altitude, carrying a heavy pack.

The website below gives some good, factual information on AMS and how to prevent or lessen the affects.

http://www.altituderesearch.org/traveling-to-altitude/fast-facts

I know from past experience that there won't always be time for most "week-end" warriors to adequately prepare themselves for the rigors of high altitude (been there, done that as a former Bay Area resident). The fast drive from LA or SF on Friday night followed by an approach hike early Saturday morning, then the climb Sunday morning and then the retreat to the car Sunday afternoon, are the conditions under which most visitors to the Eastern Sierra will be forced to endure. (Sound familiar?) But it's all fun, right? Darn right it is! So do what you can to make it a more comfortable experience and, as an Austrian mountain guide once said to me, "Suck it up, princess!", and don't worry about it.