Hello, Thanks in advance! I am hoping that someone can help me understand the road construction issue. I have read through this entire thread and am throughly confused at this point. Having never been out there makes it hard to understand if I can't visualize what is being talked about. We are flying into Vegas on the morning of 8/12 and driving out that afternoon through Death Valley. We have camping for the 12th & 13th at the Whitney Portal. Have overnight permits for the 14th for MWMT. Not sure what we are doing the nights of the 15th & 16th, but we'll figure that out depending on what kind of shape we are in. Fly out of Vegas on the 17th.
Is there any reason not to drive through the Death Valley? And if not advisable, what route should we take?
I think we are good on parking with camping at the portal and having an overnight permits. Am I correct? Getting there on Friday, we should miss the construction, right?
Will, we need to go back into Lone Pine on the 13th to pick up our wilderness permits?
Can, we rent bear cans, buy trail food and any miscellaneous stuff we forgot at the Whitney Portal Store? If not what's the best place to do so?
What other logistics things should we be aware of?
Side note, my other hobby is Professional BBQ Contests. http://www.pitch.com/food-drink/article/...-grand-champion
If someone reading this, will be out there on Sat 13th, bring a smoker or charcoal grill and I cook up ribs.
Thanks, Don