Originally Posted By: nyker
This will sound like rookie questions to the SoCal folks here!

I've never climbed Baldy - For those who have climbed it, probably a large percentage of everyone here (!),

1. how is access in December (typically) and are there issues on the road to get to the trailhead? Over the last 6 years we've barely had any snow. What does fall rarely sticks long enough to make trouble on the roads, but it can affect the trail higher up. See Bill's comments RE last year's tragic SG fatalaties.

2. I've never actually been to the area and read mixed reports online. Is this one of those trailheads that's accessible in a 2wd rental car even if its snowing higher up or does the road access close as does Whitney Portal Road? Or is this typical Socal weather and could be stormy one day and 70*F the next? You'll have no trouble with the roads if you're hitting Manker Flats. The road has some tight turns but I've never had problems in my Corolla. Ah, yes the weather can jump back and forth, but the storms are fewer and far between.

3. Is Manker Flats the "standard trailhead"? Is this the side with the "Devils backbone" Assume I should bring traction for this? Depends on the snowpack. You can have almost no snow on Baldy at different points of the month. RN I'd brink micros, if we get another storm maybe 'pons and an axe. If you really want to ensure success just go for crampons.

4. Is an "Adventure pass" or Parking Permit required here also? Personally, I have no idea. I don't bring them and I haven't been ticketed in years. I usually hit Baldy monthly. The times that I did get a ticket, the ticket asked for me to send the $5 I would've spend on the Pass, lest I be fined $100.

Thanks in advance!

@jjoshuagregory (Instagram) for mainly landscape and mountain pics