Originally Posted By: fusial
Originally Posted By: 2600fromatari
I personally agree with the unenjoyable part, but a number of people regularly go down during the cooler parts of the year. You'd be surprised by how many people can do the whole C2C2C in the single digit range.

Are there any tricks to training to get this fast? Possibly intervals of fast hiking interspersed with normal speed, similar to running with tempo runs?

My personal experience is tons of time at an aerobic nose breathing pace, with minimal high intensity runs and some weights like one legged squats with a pack on. I highly recommend this book:

http://www.patagonia.com/product/training-for-the-new-alpinism/BK695.html

This is not a book about clothing, knots, or maps like Freedom of the Hills nor is it a book about rock or ice climbing techniques. It is about developing your fitness and applies whether you're a trail runner, mountaineer, or alpine climber.

No tricks, just time and effort but it works. I have friends who swear by high intensity interval training. I'm not here to say this is the only way or argue with anyone about what is best, but this type of training is what works for ME.

I started later in the game than most. Early 2010 I couldn't walk up a local 900 ft mountain without stopping for breath. I'm in my late 30s and despite several serious accidents (two of them involving me in a bike and inattentive drivers, and a broken ankle while climbing in Yosemite), I comfortably did the Whitney Trail in about 7 hours this past summer with zero struggle and zero soreness the next day. A friend and I did Skyline twice in one day over a month ago, 80% of it was at a nose breathing pace and we had a conversation the ENTIRE way, both times. Pacing ourselves, we still did both trips combined in about 9 hours flat. That's not even remotely close to the crazy records some of these guys and gals have posted over the years, but my goal is to simply be in shape to enjoy my hikes and climbs. I see too many miserable people absolutely suffering on the trails. Where's the fun in that? What I'm saying is this is more than attainable for your recreational, weekend warriors. Just takes persistence and discipline. I'm not an athlete and I have no natural talents. I actually had asthma as a kid and high blood pressure from eating too much junk food.

I'm an average person by just about every measure with a full time job. My diet is relatively healthy these day but I also eat pizza and carne asada burritos all the time. I don't hate my workouts, and I'm not collapsing at the end of them. I'm smiling and still feel good. Don't overtrain. That is the key for me.

Last edited by 2600fromatari; 12/16/16 12:48 PM.