Originally Posted By: Steve C
Here's what I have, only weigh 9 oz for the pair!

The non-adjustability is something I had to get used to, and first pair I bought, I let an inexperienced kid at REI talk me into a set that was too long.

The internal cord broke mid-hike (it was too short out of the factory, and I jerked it to get it to snap tight. The jerking action broke the string inside the handle. I repaired it with duct tape, and finished the hike.

Next pair was shorter, and they are working quite well. The 9 oz part is what sold me on them. They weigh about half what most other poles do.

Years ago, I thought hiking poles were for sissies. But I wouldn't hike without them now. The pair make me so much more stable, and when I try to use just one, I am quickly longing for both.

With the too-long pair, I taped the two joints, and then the part that slides inside the handle allowed me to use it in a shorter length. Only problem was soft meadows -- the pole would stick in the mud and pull out to full length (and completely pull apart on the broken one.)

I use those same poles, just bought them last year. Before last year I had the same sentiments about poles but decided to try them when my right knee was sore from overuse (running). Mainly used them on the downhill section to take the weight of the knee, but after the knee got better, I started using them only for the uphills. I actually broke the tip off of one of the poles during the early part of my descent off Whitney last fall, and fortunately REI exchanged them for another pair.

Also I don't like using them downhill because you move faster and always have to be looking for places to stick the poles (where you won't break off a tip, lol), so it just seems like extra work to do. But going uphill they are great, allowing me to lean back a little more and it just seems to make the climb a little more relaxing and enjoyable.