Originally Posted By: goldscott
I'd wear skis wink

Aluminum crampons from Black Diamond or CAMP. Just be careful to stay off rocks. I've been using my BD Neve strap crampons this spring - along with a CAMP Corsa Nanotech ice axe which hasn't actually come off my pack yet - I've been fine with ski poles. I booted up Langley, Bloody, and McGee last weekend with this setup. It's light and easy.

Summer snow is very different from what you get now. Hiking poles will work fine in most places even then, but the icy steep sections in some areas are where I'd want a real anchor. Walking up and down Muir Pass isn't what I a concerned about.

But there are many places where the crampons should be a huge help should we venture into anything steep. Even just crossing areas of big snow cups can be much more pleasant when you have traction. I certainly would not want to ski on that stuff smile

Need to decide if I want another CAMP super light axe or something more general purpose (Petzl Summit) that's a few ounces more but also has a longer shaft. But just like in your experience, these items will most likely just hang on the backpack for most of the summer. Looks badass though smile