Hello-

Not really. I have minimal experience skiing on black or double black diamond slopes, so standing up on that steep decline would have felt very unnatural. If it were ground and not snow it would have been a different matter all together since there I have a lot of experience on that surface.

One thing I could have tried is coming down, facing the mountain, that would have been doable and within my comfort zone but much slower. But after the data I have I would do the following:

1. Avoid being on the chute
2. If I am, going up will be easier, making SURE I am following steps others have used. So go very slow.
3. Coming down, would still sit on bottom and glissade but knowing full well that it requires an ice-axe and ability to 'self-arrest' when speed feels out of control / comfort zone which will happen no matter how hard you try to control.

Another thing people going down in future need to be aware of is what Steve highlights: as snow melts you will expose and potentially hit underlying rocks! eek

Again: being a rookie on ice I would just wait for switchbacks to open. MUCH more fun and enjoyable experience (comparing my 2014 to recent trip)