Hey all. As I get closer to my first trip up Whitney, I have a bunch of miscellaneous questions still rolling around my head. Maybe you can help me out.

My permit is on overnight for the 19th. I've done a bunch of So Cal peakbagging but only a couple nights of backpacking.

• When you park at Trail Camp and leave for the summit, should you leave your tent and pack open so marmots can sniff around and not need to burrow though anything? (you can tell I'm green -- don't laugh) I've got a bear canister I'll have away from the tent but I'm not sure how curious these marmot characters are.

• Seems like there's plenty of viable water everywhere, except past Trail Camp. So my strategy is to not haul a bunch up to the point - I'll just get what I need along the way - but I'll bring about 3L for the summit attempt. Sound about right?

• It sounds like the Old Trail is the way to go to avoid that nasty first stream crossing. Is it obvious where the trailhead is? I've seen some threads on that and I'm concerned I'll waste time in the morning trying to find it. Maybe I can get up there the day before and get it sorted.

• Would it make sense and go without a stove? From what I'm reading, even the people doing an overnight seem to be booking up to the summit pretty dang early. I'd love a warm coffee and some oatmeal but it takes me a bit given my inexperience. How many people ditch the cooking system for an overnight?

• I'll be using micro spikes. Is there a good strategy for when they go on and off? The must be useless on granite.

• What's the parking situation like? Are there reserved spots for overnight? Do they fill up? What about for day hiking? I also want to get a feel for the trail the day before, maybe hike up to Lone Pine Lake or so.

• Are there any other good places to get some altitude in the days before? Even if it's a couple hours I'm hoping it will help.

Sorry for the silly questions. And thanks in advance!