There seems to be a certain amount of nervousness or fear about bears. Here are a few facts about bears (well, a few of them).

The bears in the Sierras are the American Black Bear (which are not always black...might be brown or some combination of colors). They are not the aggressive types like the Grizzly bears found in Yellowstone. Black bears are basically timid creatures and will run away from people if given the chance to escape. They hate loud noises: like shouting, banging on pots and pans, and will flee.

Momma bears can become extremely aggressive if they have cubs and think you are a threat to them. Do not approach; back away slowly.

A word of caution to those of you who hike or camp with firearms: Do not shoot a bear! It isn't nice, and is very likely to get you killed by the creature you just popped with your little 9MM peashooter. Bears can take an incredible amount of punishment from a firearm and still have enough strength and anger left to destroy you.

Always protect your food by keeping it in a bear proof container. No, not your car, they can open car doors and/or break windows. No, not your ice-chest (I've seen bears throw full ice-chests again trees in order to break into them). Bears are very smart and have learned amazing burglar skills from their mothers.

Don't feed bears or leave food out for them. Human food is NOT GOOD FOR THEM! Their primary diet is natural vegetation, but will eat anything in order to pack on calories for their winter hibernation. No, bears will not consider you a food source...unless you've been dead for a few days and are starting to ripen.

Don't leave food in your tent or sleeping bag with you, unless you want a late night, unwelcome visitor who doesn't want to cuddle with you. Not even a Mars Bar? No!

Never approach a bear that has possession of your food! I mean, if you were stupid enough to leave your grub out in plain view, you deserve to have it sacrificed to Smokey. The bear in possession of your food is now in charge and might act to defend what he/she now considers to be "MINE!"

Here is a link to the Facebook page of my friend Steve Searles, the bear control officer for Mammoth Lakes, California:
https://www.facebook.com/SearlesBearWhisperer/

Did you notice the breaking and entering skills of the bears, and the stupidity of the humans?

Anybody have any bears stories to relate?

Last edited by Bob West; 07/19/17 05:13 PM.