I'd like to note that you never know when AMS will strike or how hard. I have hiked all over and usually the most I get is a lack of appetite. I have been fairly lucky and altitude is mostly about thin air for me to this point.

The only time I really got questionable symptoms was at lower elevation: hiking SoCal's San Jacinto from the tram. Once, of the three times I have done it, somewhere near switchbacks at 9k I had to sit and rest and eat - a longer break than I typically ever do for any reason. I'm sure it was the extreme of coming from so low up the tram to so high that did it (I also live very low in the OC) - plus... Aunt Flo (sorry guys, but it has to be noted).

I have heard many stories of experienced high elevation hikers suddenly having severe AMS symptoms on a hike but never before or after: fine on Kilimanjaro (19.3k) then sick on San Gorgonio (tops out at 11.5k). Some perfect storm of conditions? I don't know, but I'd warn that just because you haven't had it before doesn't mean you won't. FWIW

@terraelise anything (fb, ig, etc.)