Again, different people react to altitude differently. Steve and I are both old guys that stay fit and hike regularly. Steve takes time to acclimatize, takes Diamox, and still has trouble at altitude. I’ve been above 13,000 feet 550 times. With the exception of mild Cheyne-Stokes breathing on Denali (cured with a little Diamox), I’ve never had any issues with altitude. Somebody may chime in and say “yeah, but you live at 5,000 feet and Steve lives at sea level.” That’s true, but I think the advantage is small. And I can tell stories about partners who live at 5,000 feet and kick my butt cycling or running, and then disappear in my rearview mirror above 12,000 feet.

We can’t even guess how well YOU will tolerate high altitude. More acclimatization is better than less. You don’t need to drink like a fish, but be sure to stay hydrated. Be sure to eat enough, and take it easy on fatty foods. Don’t “take it easy those three days.” Moderate exercise, especially if you hike higher than your sleeping altitude, is good. Just don’t get exhausted.

Good luck, and have fun!