You and Hobbes are correct in that folks either don't trust or perhaps resent advice from strangers, even if those offering advice are former SAR team members. Active SAR people would probably offer the same advice regarding safety, and even they might be ignored; I have had that experience in years past.

People are going to do whatever they want in the mountains unless they are physically or legally prevented from doing so. Even if permit applicants were verbally questioned by the USFS regarding their experience, they can still fudge the facts or refuse to answer. Even requiring applicants to sign a document indicating their experience might be beyond what even the nanny state would consider. The former USSR had strict regulations regarding who could do mountaineering in their countries, but I for one would not want to see this country go in that direction.

I don't know what the answer is, if there is one. In the meantime SAR members continue to risk their lives climbing and going on helicopter missions to retrieve the living and the dead from our mountains...and do it without complaint or reward.

Last edited by Bob West; 05/18/18 08:09 AM.