Tough crew but with good advice. If I may add two considerations, it would be these:

1. Definitely go with what you have and are familiar with. What I haven't seen really emphasized here is that people turn around all the time. I myself have turned around twice in the past simply because of either the weather or I wasn't 'feeling it'.

Whitney is so much more than just the peak - the entire creek drainage canyon is spectacular. If it wasn't for the permitting system and crowds, it would be a destination in its own right like Yosemite. But, people are focused on the summit, and don't pay much attention to the trip.

Go with an open mind knowing that you can turn around at any point - just being out & up there is incredible. Note that the danger zone begins above Outpost - there are places where people have walked off the cliffs. The trail above Trailside meadow also doesn't get much mention, but it to can be dangerous when icy. Then, of course there is the Chute vs 99.

2. Having mentioned the permitting system, I should add that I have never either reserved or gone through the lottery process. IMO, unless you're in some kind of large group, it simply isn't necessary. There are always cancellations and no shows available for walk up permits.

Knowing that, it's actually quite trivial for someone within 4-6 hrs driving distance to tackle Whitney whenever they feel like it. For example, say you used your 6/2 permit and made it to Trail camp, but decided to head back. If would be a giant nothing burger to simply decide on the spur of the moment (assuming you had 3 days available) to get yourself right back up there in 3-4 weeks.

If the weather was nice, the trial clear, and you had already done the basics, then your chances of success would begin to become quite high. In fact, like many of us here, once you discover just how doable Whitney is - under the right circumstances - then it becomes a habit/addiction.

Last edited by Hobbes; 05/28/18 06:37 AM.