You just confirmed some hunches that I had. This weekend we hiked San Gorgonio and learned an important lesson...
I had 3.5 liters of water with me, of which, I finished 1.5 of before even reaching the half way point to the summit. Last time i hiked it I never even finished the water which made me think this was the right amount. After my camel pak was empty, I began drinking the remaining water (2 one liter Smart water bottles) much more slowly and dehydration began kicking in. On the way back down I ran out of water completely by the time we hit the creek side camp (still 5 miles to go). I filled the Smart water bottles at the spring and began sipping water all the way down. I didn't want to just chug it because i wasn't sure of the source I just assumed it was a spring because there is no snow left higher up. I never suffer AMS and this time I felt like a zombie the last few miles because i was seriously dehydrated and stopped eating because it was making me thirsty. The two gels I had were the only thing that gave me energy to finish. For Whitney I will most definitely bring 4 liters from Trail Crest, and plenty of gels. I appreciate the advice!!